OSCAL provides a standardized format for documenting security and privacy controls that maps across multiple compliance frameworks (i.e. NIST, PCI, etc.) and a method for attesting to the implementation of the controls within information systems
How Does OSCAL Help Me?
- Enables continuous maintenance of control documentation within a framework designed for that purpose.
- Reduces the amount of paperwork required to implement multiple compliance frameworks.
- Ensures that security as proposed and planned (defined in the controls) matches with security as implemented, with less need for manual assessments.
- Flattens the learning curve for new staff by enabling them to focus on problems not technology.
- Enables mapping standard catalogs of controls to common control baselines, implemented as OSCAL profiles, reducing the number of assessments required to ensure compliance with multiple frameworks.